Thread: Alan Rosen
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: FYS

Time to share my personal "Buying Machine" stories:

1988: As a 15 year old, my Dad took me to one of the old Dearborn, MI shows. I had a very large collection, but it was primarily post 1969. I brought a couple of 800 count boxes full of stacks of star cards in card savers from the 70's to the show to sell/trade. Because they were from the 70's, I labeled the box as "old card." I assigned my Dad to carry the boxes, so I was free to browse. Walking into the show, Alan immediately saw my Dad with a couple of boxed labeled "old card.' and pounced. My Dad said these are my sons. Mr. Mint than jumped on me. I actually did not feel worthy of the request, because they were 70's cards and I knew these were beneath Rosen. So I said, nothing in there you would be interested with. His reply, you walk past this table, do not bother coming back for an offer. My Dad called him a prick. This first time I ever heard my Dad say that or even comfront someone.

Fast forward:

1991: Now I am an established 18 year old weekend warrior. I go back to Dearborn by myself with several hand collated sets and wax boxes i.e. a couple of each from 80T, 82T, 84D, 85D etc. So I have several thousand dollars worth of stuff. I left everything in my car and had a list. Walked in and browsed around Mr. Mint's table hoping he would talk to me. He ignores the young man. Finally, I get up enough nerve to say, "are you buying." He nicely said what do you have. I said lots of wax, 80T, 84D etc. His in interested and I am now validated! Finally, he brings out his calculator and says you have 2 and 3 cases of each. I said no, 2 or 3 boxes of each. Then came the punch, get out of here kid, your not in my league.

I have seen him set up several times since then, but I will never sell or buy anything from that bastard.