Thread: ACC update
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Default ACC update

Posted By: Eric

I've had extensive conversations with Glen on this topic, and I think we've both reasoned that newly assigned ACC numbers would be beneficial to the hobby. The word "additions" is key here. A couple of people here have suggested revamping the entire ACC. This is a Utopian idea..and simply won't work. Although the ACC has a great deal of flaws that we as collectors would love to see fixed, it's just not that simple. Collecting vintage baseball cards is a deeply rooted hobby, thus the ACC book, which was created almost 50 years ago. Although flawed in many aspects, the ACC is a cornerstone to the hobby, and that of legitimizing card issues. In my opinion it would be a great mistake to alter any existing ACC designations in any way.
I like what Glen, Frank and Leon have stated before me, that a collaborate effort would be needed to attempt this project. Experts would be needed on the ACC. A historical knowledge of previous attempts at assigning new designations would be extremely helpful. It would also be wise to include as many card experts as possible, while getting everyone's opinion on the subject, who wanted to lend one.
Before starting a project of this nature, it's best to realize what the goal is that we'd like to achieve. Are we doing this so grading companies will accept new designations? Is it solely for the use of collectors in general (like a hobby lingo thing?) Or, are we doing this to better the identification of vintage card issues, by making many of those not designated a new part of the ACC system? I'd like to think of the latter being the final achievement. Determining this question would more easily define the route with which this project is carried out.
If the final goal is for bettering the identification system, known as the ACC, I'm in for helping the project to an end. But to those who wish to add new ACC designations, if you truly want this to be publically accepted, then the vital aspect becomes one of widespread legitimacy and acceptance. The biggest consideration here is finding a partnership with publishing and supporting the additions we wish to propose. Initially, I think that Old Cardboard/Lyman Hardeman would be a great resource to assist with this project. His magazine might serve as a starting ground for proposed ACC additions. Looking beyond that, I think a long running hobby publication would have to support the additions as well. SCD would seem to be a perfect partner, in that aspect.
I'm open ears for this project, and would love to hear from anyone who wishes to hash out initial plans for attempting this. I don't read the board much these days, so please keep me in the loop.

Eric