View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Default Ugliest Player as Depicted on Card?

Posted By: David McDonald

Permit me a tangent away from the topic of "ugly" ballplayers. If memory serves (though it don't serve very well)I recall on the back of one of Don Mossi's fifties cards it says: "Don is a postman in the off-season." That little quote for me has always neatly tidied up the difference between the bygone days of baseball and the modern game. Can you feature any of today's players working a joe job in the off-season?

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic . . .

Edited one year later to get things correct. Johnny Klippstein's '53 Topps card informed that "Johnny delivers mail during the off-season." As for Don Mossi, he wouldn't have won any beauty contests but he seems like a decent chap.

"All in all, Don Mossi is a successful man. He is in good health, has a happy family life, is fairly prosperous, and is satisfied with his lot in life. Perhaps some of today's wealthy but troubled stars, who make more in a half a season than Mossi and his contemporaries did during their entire careers, could learn a thing or two from this quiet country gentleman."

http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/oct01/mossi.html