View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default Is it unreasonable to conclude that relatively rare cards are held by collectors

Posted By: warshawlaw

both of which are (were) woefully undercatalogued, new stuff just seems to expand the interest of the collecting public. I've not seen card prices depressed as a result of new cards coming to light.

We all like to think of the mythical big find, but what has the real world impact of the finds been? Name me one big find of vintage cards that has depressed the market. Did the CJ set drive down prices on all other CJ cards? Not from what I've seen. Ditto for Dave's 1,200 card OJ find. Leon's find did not reduce the prices for those cards, either. Vintage baseball cards are too big and too vibrant a market to be effectively diluted by anything other than a truly massive find of the sort none of us have ever seen. If someone found 100 T206 Wagners and all were authenticated beyond doubt, it would probably reduce the price for a while, but there are so many well-heeled collectors for the set that I suspect we'd still see five and six figure prices.