View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Feb- 1st Recent Pickup's Thread

Posted By: Joe_G.

While not my normal focus, the following non-Detroit item piqued my interest. The errant back notations (Buck Ewing & John Vaughn) and lack of information on the initial listing likely diverted some of my competition .

However, before the auction closed, the seller was able to share information provided by Tom Shieber, Curator of New Media, National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, as follows:

Well ... sometimes you catch a break. In this case, I was able to make good headway. There's no doubt in my mind that the players pictured are catcher Harry "Farmer" Vaughn and pitcher John Ewing with Memphis of the Southern League in 1888. For some reason the reverse of the card has both names listed incorrectly as "John Vaughn" and "Buck Ewing."

In June of 1888, the battery of Vaughn and Ewing was purchased from Memphis by Louisville (AA) for $800. Since Farmer Vaughn played only half a season with Memphis in 1888, I can only assume that this photo was taken during the first half of that season. For some corroborating pictures, refer to the following sources . . . (deleted) Note that John Ewing was little brother to the more famous Buck Ewing. Hope this helps. - Tom

So, I guess this would be a minor league card of Buck Ewing's little brother John who would go on to pitch 4 seasons. Farmer Vaughn would however prove to be the more talented player. Farmer stayed with Louisville through 1889, would jump to the New York Giants PL team along with John Ewing but was later traded to Cincinnati where he stayed until retiring in 1899. In all, a 13 year career mostly behind the plate. Both players have several Old Judge cards (poses).

A neat pitcher/catcher cabinet.

BTW, one of Tom Shieber sources listed shows a photo of both Ewing & Vaughn with Louisville in 1889 (Ewing in windup). The source is Philip Von Borries' "Louisville Diamonds". I'd like to hear from anyone who might have access to this. Thanks!

edit - Update to thank Kevin Cummings, Tom Boblitt, and others who sent additional information on this cabinet including scans. For the record, John Ewing is partially seated & Farmer Vaughn is standing. Thanks!

Regards,
Joe Gonsowski