View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default OT: What are your other hobbies?

Posted By: pete

very rarely (and i mean rarely) will you find an authentic roman sword that does not have patina or rust, if there is any type of "shine" to it, its more than likely a fake, the romans from what i understand did not polish swords they were mass produced for the thousands upos thousands of legionaires. if the sword was complete and had a nice green or brown patina covering the entire sword, 2k is about right for a show since they are hard to find that way, most items like that are in museums or private collections, the ones you see more often are from small collectors selling them through auction houses or shows to bring more money, most will have rust throughout 90% or more of the dagger or blade and have very little patina, i've only seen about 20 or so daggers and swords that did not have any rust at all and most range between $500-$1500 so that $2k wasnt too bad....there is a private collection in england that occassionally will sell off a few pieces but usually are steep, i'll see if i can find the site and get back to you
pete