View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Default Negro league stats

Posted By: identify7

Yes Dennis, the '90 Macmillans is the last encyclopedia I bought as well. The Negro League section contains the best available stats for <130 of the top players at that time. The plan was to expand the data, but I note that one of the main contributors published his own (primarilly biographical) encyclopedia four years later. This is Riley's work. It contains lots of stats, however, it is organized in a player specific narrative format (while Macmillans is tabular).

Around 1980 Peterson's "Only the Ball Was White" presented the available data with a comprehensive description of the leagues and activities. I don't own this book, but I do take it out of my local library at least annually. I should break down and buy it - it is a soft cover book, and can't cost much. Oh, Rileys is also soft cover, and I just got it for Valentines Day. It is somewhat thick, and costs about $25. All of these books are well worth it.

I have been married so long that my wife no longer thinks that it is strange that a guy would want the Riley book for Valentines Day - see? I told you - Gil gotta get a life!