View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default Should I stop making sets and become a HOF collector?

Posted By: Frank Ceresi

For me, I am almost complete with my T-205's. I would not have had the enjoyment of being a collector (as opposed to a pure investor) had I not compiled the set, commons and all. In fact, I have had more fun (with my late Dad) collecting the commons because you can still buy a nice conditioned T-205 common without mortaging your house.

Having said that, instead of thinking about unloading your commons, why not keep the fun of collecting the sets and slowly upgrade?

By the way, my answer to your inquiry might be different if you start including contemporary cards in the mix. A good friend of mine collects nothing but Harmon Killebrew cards. He loves Harmon and, as such, is a collector of a HOFer not a set collector. He has, though, expressed his frustrations to me recently because it is impossible to keep up with all of the wierd Harmon cards that still hit the market (everything from oddball cards to jersey and autographed cards)! My advise to him, by the way, is to break the habit of buying everything Harmon. I think he has well over a thousand Killebrew cards. To my way of thinking, having only Harmon cards during his playing days in superior condition is more attainable and more fun to collect than the contemporary odd cards.