View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Default Collectibles Insurance Agency

Posted By: Colt McClelland

I work in the insurance industry and practiced law for 7 years. I have been meaning to get this insurance, and this is a good reminder for me. Anyway, I just researched Collectible Insurance Agency a bit on-line. The bottom line is that they say they use an AM Best A+ XV company (they don't name it on their web site), so there should be no worries about the ability to pay claims.

They are just the agent - selling you paper issued by a major insurance carrier who pays the claim. They apparently do handle claims as third party administrator and/or managing general agent to some extent, but ultimately the AM Best A+ insurance carrier is liable if there is a claim. They may not do a great job of administering claims based on their demonstrated inability to administer collection of premium, but that would probably just mean a slight delay in getting a valid claim paid.

My guess is they are a decent agency (they've apparently been in business for quite a while), and they just get behind from time to time in their administrative stuff. Like any small business, they must balance their marketing efforts with their servicing efforts on existing business. I would not worry too much about the delay in processing the renewals. Just wait it out and my guess is it will be handled properly.

By the way, most insurance policies can be renewed for up to 30 days after expiration without a lapse in coverage under state law. Check the policy and see if there is a "No Lapse Guarantee" or similar provision. It will probably be in the boilerplate small print.

I am going to try to obtain coverage from them this week. I've been meaning to do this for quite some time. I am curious who the A+ XV carrier is that issues the policy. Can any existing customers provide that info. Thanks.