View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Default slightly OT auto question

Posted By: howard

A friend recently bought an unauthenticated ball signed by the 1961 Yankees for $100.00. I know, I know..you all have a bridge you want to sell him. Well, we've known the seller for thirty years and his father was a pilot who frequently had the Yanks on his plane. Some of the signatures are a bit worn but the principle ones are good (Mantle, Berra, Ford, Maris). The problem is that the seller says the Mantle is fake even though his name was signed at the same time as the others. It looks real to me but I can't imagine any reason the seller would lie about that. What I want to know is how common it was for a star player to have someone else autograph items for him.

Also, the same seller has a sheet of airline stationary signed by the same team. On this the Mantle is surely authentic because it was signed in a plane at 35,000 feet. However, at some point he had it laminated which I'm told reduces the value. It is in otherwise perfect condition. Does anyone have an idea of the value?

Thanks,
Howard

P.S. - the stationary was signed as a get well letter to the pilots son who had frequent health problems due to polio. And, sorry but I don't have access to the scans.