View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default If you found vintage cards at a garage sale

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I go to lots of garage sales...I have never found any prewar cards, but I do find lots of memorabilia and equipment. I'm not about to feel guilty about buying something at a garage sale for a set price. What's the point in going to a garage sale if you aren't searching for bargains? If someone priced it then that's what they want for it...if something's not priced I will ask what they want for it. My brother got me a load of bats at a garage sale last year for $20 which included a Ty Cobb Louisville Slugger, A Victor Sporting Goods bat, and a Stall & Dean James Delahanty model along with a bunch of other 80-100 year old bats. No guilt here.

About two years ago now I was at a flea market and I bought two pre WW2 gloves from a dealer that sets up at every antique/flea market show in my area...The gloves were $20 each and were definitely a bargain...I asked if he had any other old baseball items and he pulled a bat out of a barrel full of old golf clubs that I hadn't even bothered to look through and right away I saw the Victor Sporting Goods logo...I asked what he wanted for it and he said 5 bucks...I said sold and walked away happy and guilt free.