View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Default since Barry Sloate isn't reading now...

Posted By: Erland Stevens

While Barry is on hiatus, I'll tell a story about him.

Like most on the board, I collected cards as a kid. My friend's dad gave me two rough T206s (Konetchy low and Manning bat) with a couple issues of SCD, and I was hooked on vintage cards. In college (late 80s) I got the courage to place an order from an SCD ad - an ad from Barry with some VG-ish T206 commons. For some reason, I felt very awkward about making the call, and I'm sure Barry was wondering who the moron on the other end of the phone was. I had no idea what I was doing. To make matters worse, I was working from the SCD price guide. The SCD guide was fairly new then, and I later found that anybody who was anybody used the Beckett guide. I was refering to cards by their SCD numbers and totally confusing myself and Barry. It was a mess.

Since then, I can't recall ordering anything else from Barry, but Barry has tracked me from North Carolina through Michigan and California and back to North Carolina. He still sends his auction catalogs after all those years. After reading Barry's many patient and informative posts on this board, it's funny to think how intimidated I was to call him.