View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default rarest tobacco card?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think 50 to 60 Wagner cards underestimates what is out there. 80 to 120 seems more realistic to me. I actually know and have met 3 owners, have talked to another on the phone, and emailed with at least one more. And I don't think I'm all that networked into the hobby. It is difficult for me to believe that I know the whereabouts of 10% of the cards, if there really are only 50.

I do believe that some of the Wagners that change hands do so in a non-public manner. If one is auctioned off in public, then the seller will be needing to pay the taxes, and there's a record of the new owner having the card. When he dies one day, either there's a record that he sold it and pays (or owes) taxes, or it is still in his estate (where's the card) as a probatable (and taxable) asset. This drives some buyers and sellers to seek oneanother out in a more private setting, one that auctionwatchers would not see.

But I could be wrong about that.

I don't know what it is like to own one. I do know what it is like to hold one in the palm of your hand. I clearly recall the day, time, location, and circumstances. And I'm guessing that holding one is more satisfying than holding the slab that entombs one, but since I've never held a slabbed/graded one, I don't really know. If anyone has held one slabbed and raw, I'd like to hear which one was more memorable.