View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Default One of the hobbies greatest mysteries...Who really runs the The National?

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I actually like the idea of having the National at the same venue every year.

Growing up my father was really into collecting Trains (Lionel, American Flyer, etc.) and the TCA (Train Collectors Association) have established that every year their national convention is at the same venue in York, Pennsylvania. Train collecting is big, but not nearly as popular as Sports Cards. However, during the week that the convention is happening--that city is dedicated to it, and there are tons of things to do there, and it almost feels more like a festival than merely a train show, which is the way I always feel about the national--it ends up being just a big card show-nothing really special.

Honestly I have always been a little surprised that as card collectors we aren't more organized like other hobbies are. They have national clubs, local chapters, etc, etc. As card collectors we are mainly rogue agents. I guess I just never really understood why that sort of thing has never really caught on with card collecting.

-Rhett