View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay and Shill Bidding

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ok, two times over the past few days I've noticed shill bidding on ebay auctions and have reported it to ebay. I'll provide the two examples and tell me what you think ebay did in response:

1) The shill in this auction has two feedback total for very cheap music-related items. All of a sudden, out of the blue after not bidding on anything for over a month, he bids on just three expensive, high gradeed 1950s baseball cards - all ending tonight and all being sold by just this one seller. A review of the seller and the shill finds that they are both located in the same state.

2) The shill bidder and seller are also from the same, very underpopulated state. The shill's feedback indicates that he has won two vintage baseball cards in very high grade of which there are only 3 and 4 examples at that grade in existence. It just so happens that the SELLER has those very two cards in HIS Registry Set (at that rare, high grade) which is reviewable on the PSA site. Oh, and the shill is only bidding on two items, both being sold by the seller. Also, the two cards he's bidding on are from different baseball eras.