View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default What is it, exactly, about grading?

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Some recent threads here have gotten me thinking about the issue of grading in general.

A couple of years ago, I embraced the concept of third-party grading as a consumer. I did this for a couple of reasons. First, I found it necessary to find a way that I could purchase certain cards over the internet without being subjected to the random grading standards that could result in having an EX-MT card described anywhere from VG-EX to MINT. Second, I found that it was easier for me to sell off dupes if they were assessed by a third party. Third, I like the protection that a slab offers. Lastly, when I'm working on a set, I like them all to be presented the same way, and so in some cases, an entire graded set is appealing to me.

Anyway, in reading this board, I discovered that there are a lot of people who are ANTI-grading. The reason I hear most often is that cards are meant to be handled, and not encased in a "plastic tomb." Yet someone made the astute point in another thread that most raw cards are displayed in a plastic tomb of their own - be it a toploader, screw-down, binder sheet, Card Saver, etc. I handle my graded cards all the time, enjoying the artwork and the stats on the back, viewing the ad backs and just staring at them - but I know I'll never have to worry about sneezing on them, or spilling beer on them, or whatever, because they're well-protected in their slabs.

With grading, I personally have gotten to the point where virtually every meaningful card that I acquire gets shipped off for grading at the earliest possible moment. Contrary to what I've read here recently about people who like grading, I don't consider myself a "cert buyer" or a "plastic buyer" or anything like that. Quite the opposite - I consider myself to be a baseball fan with a love for the history of the game, and a love for baseball cards. I love the hobby and was involved with it long before grading services, but I feel that grading services provide a great service to the hobby (as noted in the first paragraph).

So my question: What is it, specifically, about grading that people don't like? I'd like to keep the thread respectful, and I'd love it if it didn't degenerate into a PSA vs. SGC vs. GAI vs. FBI vs. CIA discussion, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,
-Al