View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Default I think we all knew this already

Posted By: DJ

Baseball related tale, to stay in topic of the post:An older gentlemen moved into the neighborhood and we started talking about baseball and he told me he had these Bowman baseball cards and he said he was willing to part with them. He said he had a whole set. While the late 1940's and 1950's aren't my thing, I told him I could sell it for him. I assumed that they were in "enjoyed condition" and was expecting a fraction of a Willie Mays and a Mickey Mantle that went through the spokes several hundred times. When he started up my drive way, there it was under his left arm. A green brick. A factory 1989 Bowman set! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

In response to the hijacked threat: Okay, I can totally relate to the music tastes of the Board and I expect since Jay is "left of the dial", his music taste would be mine as I'm simply all over the place and tend to agree with him in this case as I prefer Jazz, old Blues, old Country and 1970's and 1980's punk. X is great, especially "Los Angeles". I am also a huge fan of "Black Flag" (as well as MC5, the Ramones...) and while Henry won't admit to our friendship after a gig five years ago and a long chat about Henry Miller, I will admit to our friendship!

I saw the Pixies two years ago in NYC and they were as amazing as ever! I have seen Black Francis/Frank Black live twice but nothing compares to the Pixies as a complete band --Wave of Mutilation is a must for beginners. Another underrated band are the Butthole Surfers IMO. The lyrics for "Moving to Florida" simply rock:

(I'm gonna potty train the chairman Mao/I'm gonna make the governor write my doodoo a letter, child./And I'm gonna grind me up a White Castle side out of India's sacred cow.

Best thread...ever? Better than those Equine threads!

DJ

Also great: MC5, Television, LedZep