View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Default Contacts at the Hall of Fame?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hal.

I suggest you not donate anything to the National Baseball Museum.

Years ago I obtained a baseball contract, it was for Pepper Martin, for him to play for the St. Louis Cardinals. His 1934 contract. Pepper Martin's Gasehouse Gang contract. When I opened the box and held it, I got goosebumps. I called the fellow who sold it, a name most of us know and trust, and he was concerned that I'd called, fearing something was amiss. I told him how great it was, how happy I was, and that maybe I should send it to Cooperstown.

He paused for a long time, and then said, "Frank, please don't do that. The Hall of Fame has lots of stuff, too much stuff. If you give that contract to them, it will end up in a box in the basement, and might be seen rarely if at all. If you keep the contract, you can show it to people, so they can share in the excitement of seeing it."

I believed what Mr. Lipset told me that day. And I now have the contract on loan to The St. Louis Baseball Hall of Fame, along with Ernie Orsatti's bat, a 1934 game 7 WS ticket, and some other stuff. The stuff has been there for years. The Curator is a really nice, careful lady, my stuff is safe with her, and thousands of people see the items each year.

So Hal, please retain ownership, and at worst loan items for display. And if the National Baseball Museum won't display the stuff, look around for other places. I had a bunch of cards on display a few years ago at the Louisville Slugger Museum. I think Lew was right, though. And I think he still is.

Frank W.