View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Default The Hitless Wonders - White Sox 1906

Posted By: Joe D.

If anybody has any additional info about these items, or any opinion, all posts are appreciated.

I just picked up two very cool team photo postcards. And as I read more about the history of the 1906 World Series I became more excited about this pickup.

A 1906 Chicago White Sox team postcard and
a 1906 Chicago Cubs team postcard.

The White Sox postcard was postally used and has a post office stamp dated October 9, 1906 (first game of the world series).

Both postcards look to have been produced by "V.O. Hammon Pub. Co, Chicago" and the photos themselves appear to have a copyright 1906 by Geo. R. Lawrence Co. For a T200 Fatima collector like myself, these postcards fit right in with my collection.

About the 1906 series:

.... from wikipedia -
The 1906 World Series featured a crosstown matchup between the Chicago Cubs, who had posted the highest regular-season win total (116) and winning percentage in major league history, and the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox, known as the "Hitless Wonders" after finishing with the worst team batting average (.230) in the American League, beat the Cubs in six games for one of the greatest upsets in Series history.

....from MLB.com -
The '06 Series looked like the mother of all mismatches. The Cubs set a Major League Baseball record, still unbroken through 2000, with 116 regular-season wins. Meanwhile, the White Sox won "only" 93 games, and were known as "the Hitless Wonders" by virtue of their .230 team batting average.

... from baseball-reference.com -
The "Hitless Wonder" Chicago White Sox lived up to their name in the 1906 World Series, hitting only .198 but defeating the Chicago Cubs four games to two in the only crosstown World Series in Chicago history.