View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Default Set builders- Does anyone else ever get frustrated and sell?

Posted By: quan

when i first started collecting pre-war the idea of putting together little caramel sets sounded fun (colorful cards, wacky poses, and 30 subjects unlike the massive t sets). didn't bother with the "big" e90-1s, and a few sets proved easy enough (e93, e95, e96)...and getting the first 20-25 cards of e94s, e97s, e98s, and e102s were also fun. but then came the drag of waiting for those tough commons or the expensive hof'ers and rarities. either you get outbid by tbob, tim sedlock, or gary nuch, or you have to pay an insane amount just to add another piece to the puzzle, not knowing when the next one will come or will you be ready...

so i gave up, now instead of chasing those pesky e97s and putting a huge amount of money into commons i don't know and don't really care about, i have a nice e97 young to represent the set. or i can buy a few cobbs in different sets, rather than just one e95 cobb along with the other 14 e95 commons. if my fortune changes, of course i would love to own all those sets again, right now it's just not possible and i'm happy with the path i chose.