View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Type Cards "Big Six"

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In my thinking: Subset rarity (such as minor leaguers, spotted ties, etc.), as well as condition rarity, back rarity, color rarity, and other areas of specialization are not necessary for inclusion in a type set.

If this is accepted, it follows that the initial premise of this thread may be considered as faulty:

It appears that the number of "type card" collectors is increasaing
at an accelerating rare.

While it is difficult and often quite expensive to collect pre World War II
sets in high grades (i.e. 7, 8 or 9), collecting type cards
in high grades is still achievable.

And the fault, as I perceive it, is that the inquiry overlooks the most significant factor in type card collecting in favor of one of comparitively trivial importance. Certainly, obtain the best examples which you can for your type card set, but do not pass up cards which are unique, or nearly so, simply because they do not exist in the grade which you prefer.

It may be possible to obtain specific individual cards which prevent others from achieving a complete e-card type set and a complete t-card type set, and a complete n-card type set. If you wish to consider upside potential, Bruce, I believe positioning yourself with these cards is a path with a greater liklihood of success than one which focuses on grabbing at difficult cards in high grade.