View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Default 1870's Boston team composite photo

Posted By: Rhys

I was the underbidder on this item and thought for sure I would win it, but congrats to Barry on getting a nice piece. I would have gone higher had the backs of each one had the Warren Studio mark been present, and it was hard to tell with the corner clipping to know how much of the photo portion was affected. It was obvious that they were photographed by Warren, but obviously not on the traditional Warren mounts so it then becomes a tricky question of "Are they Warren Studios CDV's or are they Warren Photos similar to the CDV's"? It would not have made good sense for Warren to waste pre-printed CDV's for something he was planning on gluing anyways. Either way, it is a spectacular piece and I have talked about this with barry already, but these do almost certainly come from Harry or George Wrights estate and the poster that this person bought with these rare photos pretty much confirms this fact. Now the question is, are these worth more as individual photos or as a complete composite with the "Wright" provenance (bad pun I know).

Great piece and I wish I could have won it, but if you have to get outbid, at least it was to a classy guy like Barry.

Rhys Yeakley