View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Default T206 set collectors, what is your focus when it comes to obtaining cards?

Posted By: T206Collector

I completed the set (minus Wagner, Magie, Plank and Doyle) by basically buying commons in bulk lots on ebay and picking up HOFers, SL and rarities along the way when I thought a good deal was to be had. When I would get doubles, I would sell the lesser condition and use the funds to purchase additional cards.

I initially tried to pick up HOFers in SGC 60 condition, but that slipped to SGC 50, and now I'll even settle for SGC 40. I settle for SGC 30 on SLers and rarities -- indeed, I have settled for SGC 30 or lower on quite a few rarities and HOFers.

I now have greater than 50% of the cards graded by SGC with an average grade of above 40. I would like to have the remaining cards graded by SGC and stay above 40, but I don't know when that'll happen. I have about 200 sub-SGC 40 quality commons and southern leaguers to still have graded. Lately, when I see an SGC 40 common that I don't have for $30 or less, I try to buy it.

I'm making a home purchase next week and have a second kid on the way in January, so the card upgrading has taken a real back seat for the moment. But once in a blue moon I see something that I can get to upgrade my collection and flip the lower condition doubles at essentially no cost to me. Very rarely these days, however.