View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: runscott

I disagree with your assertion that football is undeniably the most popular sport. You made the claim, and I disagree. I don't tie merchandising and television ratings directly to popularity - I got up every morning at sun-up, every day during the summer, to play baseball. I stopped when my mother came out to the field and started yelling at me. There was no merchandising involved and I didn't watch much baseball on t.v., but I sure as hell bought tons of baseball cards. On the other hand, we rarely ever missed a football game on television - did that make it 'undeniably more popular'?...I don't think so.

But I do like the argument some are making that baseball was more popular back in the '30s, so cards became popular and had an advantage over football that football never recovered from, also the stats angle that appeals to some collectors.

No, football isn't America's sport - baseball is. Argue all you want about it, but we all know who the 'boys of summer' are. Who are the 'boys of fall'?