Thread: Live Auctions?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default Live Auctions?

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

It's clear that many of us, myself included, would have bid in this auction but were unable to, or simply gave up due to confusion, even before ebay's technical problems. While I have not dealt with Weiss auctions before it seems clear from the responses here that they are a good company. IMO they would do well to either go 100% ebay or avoid ebay entirely.

I think a "hybrid" auction that it is both live and online is problematic. I participate in ebay auctions reluctantly because their auction increments are b***s***. In any legitimate online auction you can "own" a ceiling bid and know that you cannot be outbid by one dollar or one cent, you must be topped by 10% or some other logical and published increment. Ebay to me is a video game with prizes. I see no reason why an auction company would align themselves with ebay even if they use their own auction increments.

An online non-ebay auction is another thing. Or a phone and email only auction. Either of these is straight forward. A combination of ebay and live seems to create problems and confusion.