View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Default OT - Buck O'Niel will have a plaque in the HOF

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

John,

No, I don't believe there are any other living Negro Leaguers worthy of the HOF. Unless you count Minoso as a Negro Leaguer, which is absurd.

I understand why everyone is so passionate about Buck. I agree with everyone about how great he was. I support him being inducted into Cooperstown, along with several others who "should" have gotten in.

The problem I have is that after voting results were announced, the best argument people usually gave for why he should have been elected was that he was still alive.

Yes, if he was going to get in eventually, it would have been much better for it to have happened while he was still alive. Better for everyone. Better for Buck, better for those of us who wanted to see him honored in the way we feel he deserved, better for the Hall of Fame. Sadly, that didn't happen.

I don't agree with him not being elected, but I do not think it was unfair. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the process before the results were announced. Anyone who thought the process was unfair should have spoken up then, but no one did. Partly because they just assumed Buck O'Neil was a lock to be elected, and partly because the process actually was fair.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why it was an "obvious mistake" that he didn't get elected. Can you explain it? Please explain what exactly was wrong with the voting process and why you and others weren't vocal about the flawed process before the voting took place.

-Ryan