View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default OT - Buck O'Niel will have a plaque in the HOF

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think the thread that went on for days after the announcement was enough proof of why he should be elected. For all he did for the game,on the field,in the dugout,in the stands and as the voice of the negro leagues.If you judge him just as a player,hes iffy at best,just as a manager/coach,no,just as a scout which they dont have a category for so no,or just as an ambassador of the game,probably but when you put all of those together hes a no-brainer. He couldve at least been in under the pioneer category and combined everything if they didnt want to put him in under a player or manager.

I cant describe it as anything more than poor judgement on their part.When the votes came in and he wasnt elected they shouldve rechecked with the people who didnt vote for him and said why didnt you elect him,is it because youre judging him based purely on his playing days,just to make sure they were doing the right thing.

Its also common sense that you want someone who is both living and deserving to make the hall while they are alive,not wait till theyve passed to do it.I think it also ruined the election because it immediately went from celebrating these great people to annoyance that he didnt make it over these people most have never heard of.Thats why there was so much backlash and it only got worse when he passed.