View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting email from REA

Posted By: warshawlaw

First of all, I am pleased to see at least one of the altered cards posted. I wish we had an "after" back scan too so we could see what had been done to the pencil markings. I also like the idea of a registry of such cards, although it would be of limited utility since the owner would presumably crack it out anyway. Nice effect on the pop reports, by the way; here's a Lajoie that shows as 3 Lajoies in the pop reports.

I am not surprised to see a GAI grade higher than the other services. That service is simply not as picky as the others and I think we are starting to see that manifest in pricing. At least that is the case with boxing cards.

As much as I hate to defend PSA, if the latest manifestation of the card had crease removals only and is graded on its attributes, I do not see the net grade of 2 as that bad even if the pencil marks are still there. Frankly, a PSA 2 is a pretty ****ty card given that they don't have separate categories for poor and fair. Their standard is: "A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back." That's one roughed up card. I can understand where a good crease removal "operation" might still get the card a 2 if the only other alternative is a 1. The basic problem here is removals versus additions. A well performed crease removal on a card that is a beater anyway is not something I expect a grader to pick up, so I do not fault PSA if that is the only alteration made. If there was rebuilding or recoloring involved, that is something different. That said, it is still a scummy fraud to perpetuate on the public and I am glad REA caught it. I have to wonder when this card will resurface with a lesser auction house in another holder.