Administrator

Default UO-Unc Schumacher Service Station- 1949

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

EDITED To reduce the length
EDITED AGAIN:
2 Card Checklist:
Stephens and Mungro

//
The original article was from aberdeennews.com, i've edited it down because it's just darn long. We (aka that biz), have this listed as a 1949-1950 issue b/c of this article. That being said, this topic has again motivated me to call the restaurant and get in touch with Mr. Schumacher. I'll see what i can dig up. If you want a full copy of the article, go to aberdeennews.com and do a search or just email me and i'll send it to you.
//

One day long ago, Oscar Schumacher was driving home after seeing a doctor in Aberdeen.

[SNIPET]
He ran out of gas on U.S. Highway 12, near its intersection with state Highway 45.

'I had a brand new car - a Pontiac. And the gas gauge was off. That's why I ran out of gas,' he explains.

Sitting there with an empty gas tank, he had time to think. Looking around, he said to himself, 'This would be a good place to build a gas station.'

Schumacher wound up spending a good part of his life at that intersection.

Schumacher, who lived in Faulkton at the time, began building a gas station and cafe in the fall of 1949. On May 1, 1950, he opened Craven Corner, named after the nearby town of Craven, which is now no longer on the map.
[END SNIPET]

[SNIPET]
Baseball booster

In addition to his restaurant success, Schumacher is a member of the South Dakota Baseball Hall of Fame.

'He always had time for baseball - always,' says Val Hodson.

He sponsored and managed a Craven Corner team. 'We were in the state tournament several times. We had a good, sound ballclub,' says Schumacher, who still watches the Minnesota Twins 'every time they're on.'
[END SNIPET]

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me