View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Default Auction Houses selling their own stuff

Posted By: Cat

Personally, I wouldn't want the Auction House releasing my name and phone number to anyone. If some how I did get a call asking: "Is that really your consignment in the XYZ auction?" they may be in for an expletive laden tirade like they didn't know existed. The only reason I consign is for the Auction House to take over the hastles...not create them.

I was the underbidder on lot 47 in Barry's auction. I bumped the bid at least twice late in the evening. Finding out that he owned it, does not matter AT ALL to me.

Someone raised the issue that if you are a consignor and there is a similar item that is owned by Bill Mastro in the same Mastronet auction, will people gravitate towards his item. I think this issue has merit. There are four or five '52 Topps Mantles in the existing Mastro Auction. If you consign a PSA 6 '52 Topps Mickey Mantle card and yet the PSA 5 '52 Topps Mickey Mantle, which just happens to be owned by Bill Mastro, sells for virtually the same or more, wouldn't the consigner of the PSA 6 be pissed that buyers bid more agressively on the item owned by Mastro? What if Bill Mastro gets SGC to put his name on the flip like "The Nagy Collection" designation? That seemed to create a premium at least in that instance.