View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Default Cost of a 1915 Cracker Jack Set

Posted By: RayB

In contemplating something like starting the 15' CJ set I believe that looking forward to the finish line is anti-productive.

First decide whether you really love it; the cards themselves and the card set for all of the inherently great reasons built in to choose it in the first place.
Anyone with limited funds should try to manage to keep expectations limited when setting out to tackle something like this.

If the answer to the first question was YES; start small. Pick as low a grade as you can live with.
Buy within your means. Take slow deliberate steps. Think about building it one card at a time. When you can afford to chase the next card do it, but don't think past it.
The neat thing about this approach is that after a considerable amount of time has passed you will have a handful of cards, maybe even a nice chunk of the set and you will wonder how it was ever possible to get that far in that moment. But never change the approach.
This might take years but don't think about it that way. Focus short term and the long term takes care of itself.

I've done this. My T206 set started out with picking up a card here and there. I thought it would be nice to have a few. Then I kept that up, one here one there and all of a sudden after 1 1/2 to 2 years I had like a 100 cards and couldn't fathom having that many T206's. I was blown away. I've since kept up this approach and have now about 50% of the set in approx a 4 year period.
Time goes awfully fast, but my steady and slow approach has yielded more T206 cards than I ever dreamed of having.

If I would have contemplated the expense in the beginning as the determining factor to initiate a method of set building for T206 I would have never ever started it.

Almost anyone can start, set out and continue to build almost any set. Who knows, after 10 years your ship might come in as well to deliver the money you need to actually buy the Jackson!

Just tell yourself; "I can do it".
RayB