View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Default Question about high end graded cards being trimmed

Posted By: JimB

Dave said,
"Now that we have submittd them all to PSA for grading I can report that 17 of the cards were returned ungraded due to evidence of trimming. 5 cards were hall of famers, 5 were southern leaguers, and the rest were commons. So I am now suspect of T206 cards that grade 7 or higher."

If they returned them as trimmed then wouldn't that raise your confidence in their ability to detect trimmed cards. The guilty party was the auction company.

Corey,
I hope that their ability to detect alterations continues to improve, but I think they were pretty darn good 10 years ago. I remember when the whole grading thing started and I was shocked at the number of cards I submitted that came back with "Evidence of trimming". It was an eye-opener for me. But the bottom line is that they were catching a lot of them back in the early to mid-90's as well. Of course mistakes happen and altered cards get through, but I think it is irresponsible to spread the impression that all or most high-grade cards are altered (not that this is what you were doing, but it is the vein of this thread.). I just do not think it is the case.
JimB