View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Default Question for the T-206 set collectors

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

John, I noticed that as I got up around 200 cards I started focusing on trying to get at least one card of each guy before expanding out. There are about as many major league cards as there are different players in the entire set.

I'd guessed I was at 506 or 507 earlier. One of the pillars of this board asked me which ones I lacked, and upon listing those I see I'm at 510. Only my Eldberfield Washington portrait is slabbed, and that is because I haven't gotten around to breaking him out yet. Some of the others I bought were slabbed, but they are now liberated. I agree with the observation that cardslabbing money can't be spent on cardbuying. Even if there's some promotion or special, when you send dollars to PSA or SGC you do not increase the number of cards in your collection. (Maybe you eventually do if you're slabbing to sell.)

I've considered a clause in my will that would provide for the disposition of my cards, with a requirement that any potentnial buyer who mentions grading companies and slabbing would be disqualified from buying.

Some time ago I laid out the Cubs cards on the scanner and postd that. Some guys downloaded that and use it for their desktop background. Would not have been as pretty with holders everywhere. So I agree with the beauty of seeing the cards spread out, raw. They can be spread out on a table by series and the evolution of the cards is visible. And speaking of that, I always wanted the cards, when listed alphabetically as in the Standard Catalog, for the cards to at least be listed chronologically when a player has multiple poses. This would usually result in the portraits being listed first. Wish they'd do that.