Thread: Exhibit Cards
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default Exhibit Cards

Posted By: warshawlaw

The Standard Catalog prices the set around $15,000, which is huge for a small group of nobodies plus Earl Averill and Jimmy Reese. It is off the charts rare, especially the version with the stamped back coupon intact. Lew Lipset sold off a set some years ago.

As far as the rest go, I'd break it down as follows: The 1923-24 is really rough, and I'd put the 1926 right after that. Until a nice find surfaced this year I'd never even seen some of the HOFers in the 1926 set. The PC back set is a real hairy one to collect because of a number of short printed cards. Then 1925 and 1922. The 1921-27-28 are all about the same. I am not an expert on the 4 on 1's (never really cared for them) but I'd not quarrel with an assessment that the stuff from the mid 30's is the worst to find. Of course, that also excludes master set considerations on the 1929s, which is a miserable set to try and master because there are so many color variations.

There are also some single cards that are really hard to find. The 1929 Star Picture Stamps Babe Ruth card is not common but isn't that tough to come by. The 1930's portrait card of Ruth is very tough; an SGC 50 just sold for over $1,100 on ebay. The 1925 Ruth in the champions series is tough also. Finally, there is a really weird card of Ruth and Baby Snookums that has only come up a few times. I am not even sure it is an Exhibit; it may be a rival company's product. I haven't seen one for a while.

The Gehrig from the Salutations (1939) set is a rarity because it is a short print owing to his retirement in 1939. However, it does surface with some regularity for sale on ebay and in other venues.