View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default Hobby Retrospect

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

My kids brought me back into this great hobby in 1977 when we started opening new Topps wax packs.
I collected all kinds of sportscards as a kid from 1947 to the Fall of 1952. And, in 1977 I was fortunate
to recover all my original cards that were in my folks attic....BOWMANs, TOPPs, LEAFs, Bond Bread, etc.

In the late '70s and throughout all the 1980's the BB card hobby was unbelievable, it was a really great
time to experience its growth and the great camaraderie among most of the dealers and collectors.
Some of the finest friends I have....were made back then.

Now, in the past 10 years there have been two significant factors that have made a major impact on this
hobby....the Internet which has made available more cards then we could ever imagine back in the 1980's
and this is good.

And, the Grading phenomena which has its positive aspects; however, it has also resulted in several un-
intended negative aspects.

(1) It has driven the prices of cards beyond the means of many collectors.

(2) Set collectors have become a "vanishing breed", unable to deal with the high $$$$ for star cards.

(3) Rather than reducing card altering, it has increased it, by scammers using higher-tech methods.

(4) Finally, and most unfortunately, it has given rise to a new "class" of collectors who find it necessary
to denigrate collectors of non-graded cards. In a few cases it has become a "plastic cult" of intolerance,
and this does not bode well for the future of this hobby.

In order to complete my sets, I collect both Graded and Non-Graded cards, I am not particular....I guess
that makes me a "hybrid collector"....hey, I've been called worst.

TED Z