View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Default Just won my first T206 card on Ebay.

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Congratulations, Justin.

That T206 of Collins was the 3rd HOFer that I acquired in T206. I recall the day I got him! And you'll remember him, too.

There are a bunch of guys on this board who think that collecting anything other than slabbed cards is foolish, so they'll malign your purchase of an ungraded card, as well as its condition.

I'm not among them.

What you've done is bought an old card of a player who amassed over 3000 hits. A card from his playing days. A little piece of history. That's how I think of them. It seems to me that some modern collectors have no idea that he received a degree from Columbia University, that he played under an assumed name in semi-pro before graduating, that he played for Connie Mack, or that in later years he was in management with the Red Sox... Some of the guys know only his last name, that he's in the Hall of Fame, and they know whatever number some grader gave him before entombing him in plastic.

So I applaud your acquisition. Collecting T206 is like chasing 3000 hits. You can't get there in a day. If you don't get bitten by the T206 bug and you stay focused on you 3000 hit collection, then that is great, too. They would make a neat display. Show the cards to some kids, when you get a chance. We have to have another generation of collectors interested in what we chase, or these little pieces of cardboard will be mere bookmarks.

So well done. Collect what you want! And pay no heed to the folks who think you should only buy graded cards.

With kind regards,

Frank