View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default What do consignors want from an auction house?

Posted By: Joe D.

On point 1)
I have seen items go in one auction house for 'lower' than I thought they would go if sent to another auction house. I don't know if that feeling is warranted based on the information you provided (about customer base)... but I sometimes can't shake that feeling - and wonder if certain auction houses are carving niches and better at certain target markets (not sure).

On point 2)
disclosure: I am a printer. So, I am biased. I printed an auction catalog earlier this week, and hope to print more in the future. (A shameless plug, but I also thought it important to disclose that information.)

I would say the catalog is instrumental. It has tremendous importance. It is one of the defining separations of the auction house from eBay. First... they are beautiful. Second, as a bidder - I refer to the catalog more often than the online version and I can take it with me wherever I go (no plugs needed). After an auction concludes, they are tremendous reference for future auctions.

Done right, printed right... I have to believe the catalog results in higher ending prices at auction because of the promotional value and the 'always on' access / reminder to the auction.

Higher pricing means more revenue for the auction house, and happier consignors.

Held onto catalogs means more name recognition / increased customer loyalty for upcoming auctions.

In short - the catalogs more than pay for themselves.