View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Default What do consignors want from an auction house?

Posted By: JimB

"I think that the auction world is trending away from the catalog. 97% of the bids come online anyway."

The fact that bids come online does not mean that catalogs are not vital. I bid online because it is easier and I can do it whenever it is convenient for me, which is usually after hours. But I determine what I am going to bid on by the catalog. A catalog is infinately easier to browse, presents better, and is an excellent resource for the hobby (when done well like REA, Mastro, etc.). There have been numerous times when I have attempted to look at the online previews before the catalog comes. I inevitably miss things that, if there were no catalog, I would not bid on. It is just easier to miss things in online browsing. This is not to mention the fatigue on the eyes. Abandoning catalogs would be an ENORMOUS mistake for the established auction houses in my opinion and would result in much lower prices realized.

As for a T206 common in PSA 9 or 10, I have to agree with Barry that those do not demand or require a half or full page. THose who are interested in cards like that will see it and bid accordingly even if it is presented in a 1/4 page. And 30k+ for a PSA 10? The last one that I remember being publically auction sold for a little over 8k. Certainly these commons have demanded high prices recently, but it is an extremely thin market of people who would be willing and able to pay that kind of premium for a common.
JimB