View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Default What do consignors want from an auction house?

Posted By: DJ

I think a catalog is very important. It has nothing to do with bidding or being on the Internet, but it's kind of like retreating to a comfortable couch with a great tasting cigar. I love to lay there and make notes. Sure if I don't win anything, I at least tried and kind of earned by catalog. I go over the catalog in the comfort of my desired position of choice and read everything like a fine book. On the Internet, you miss things I feel. Plus, I'm on the computer enough as is and I kind of get sick of "clicking".

I think the most important thing and what makes a good auction house is reputation and how I am treated. Whether buyer or consignor, I want that auction house to work out any issues that I may have. I have had issues with two auction houses over the past five years and basically said: "What would make you happy!" and you never forget something like that. If they would have said "tough s--t", that would be the end. In saying that, I want decent shipping prices and I don't want to wait forever for my items. As a collector, we are excited children and want to get out stuff yesterday.

C'mon Adam, that's not being fair. The sucker was the guy on TV I saw a few days ago (Brigandi?) who paid like $75,000 (or valued it at the time at that price...I was at a bar and read the Closed Caption) for an signed Induction Hall Of Fame Baseball from 1939 when he could have saved quite a bit of money with the one Coach's Corner just sold $383 or the sucker who bought the Ed Plank baseball in the Lelands auction of 2002 when it sold for $44,000 when they could have had this one here in Coach's Corner for $702 or the sucker who bought the recent Christy Mathewson ball for $140,000 when Coach's Corner next month....

DJ