View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default Alterations - Same subject different thread (by accident)

Posted By: Dave

Kevin should probably elaborate on some of the techniques card doctors use to modify and shape tobacco cards if he is as familiar with them as he says. I see no reason to continually post cryptic messages alluding to card altering. It does nothing more than inflame peoples tempers and make the poster ( in this case Kevin) look suspiciously like a crook. i perform my own conservation work on cards I own, and just about anyone can learn quite a bit by visitng a local museum. Heck you can even go to the Library of Congresses website and they cover some basic conservation techniques. Notice I use the word conservation because I don't believe it is the same as card doctoring. Those of you who don't think you can spot fakes well ought to give yourself a liitle more credit. I believe Leon stated earlier at some point that the financial investment and subsequent gain to be had by doctoring mid-grade and low grade cards is just not there, and he is right. you would have to have to mass produce doctored cards in these grades to make any money at all. My opinion is that the cards that are near mint or higher are the ones that should be suspect. I don't buy cards in those grades at all anymore. I did back in the late 80's from known and trusted collectors or dealers that were local to me.
Frankly, if Kevin is trying to help the hobby or collectors on this board he ought to disclose everything he knows to be true about the docotring "industry". Some may not like that idea , but somebody sometime has to shine some light down in this sewer. otherwise, I would say keep your comments to yourself, I don't want to read about how good someone thinks he is at faking other people out anymore. it's depressing for collectors who just like to have fun and collect, and don't invest for future profits.