View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Default Alterations - Same subject different thread (by accident)

Posted By: Kevin

How then do you suggest we protect ourselves from this epidemic you speak of?

No epidemic but it is getting worse. IMO there is just a lack of qualified graders and the volume of cards being graded is too high. It's a weak link that is being taken advantage of. I now consider raw cards a high risk to purchse. I dunno how to fix it.

What things should we be on the lookout for?

Wow, there are many red flags. Cardstock that is too white or too dark is the first thing that catches my eye. Many times alterations are done to hide other alterations.

What are the common tell tale signs of altered cards?

Anything in a PRO or CSA holder. I'm also leary of some auction houses...too much money involved. Corruption and money are common denominators.

Are there things we can do to help us spot altered cards?

For now, take all the information written about alterations (tid bits from here and there) print them out and make a notebook. You would be surprised on what you could learn when this information is in a common place.

Have you taken steps to offer your services to grading companies?

I have. PSA pretty much ignores the subject, besides I don't think they can afford me LOL. SGC probably doesn't need much assistance at the moment. Mike Baker soaks it up like a sponge and I learn from him as well. Helps that I live in SoCal too.

Maybe not all the asnwers you were looking for but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Jay you are somewhat correct about that 15% thing. I posted about it on another thread.

Al, forgot to mention....awesome magazine last month. Your work just keeps getting better.