View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Sports Collectors Digest

Posted By: DJ

Mr. Lemke,

One simply question: What happened to SCD?

When I read and enjoyed the hell out of it in the early 1990's, the magazine was between 350-400 pages.

Today, the issue is barely 50 pages. Based on the threads here on the VBC Forum (and from those within the hobby that I consider friends), the magazine appears to be a dead issue as everyone has turned their back on this once tour-de-force. It's kind of like the whole Wall Street world turning their back on the "Journal".

I have not read one single issue in some twelve years and I was it's biggest fan at the time, but what I see is what has been explored through a number of threads on this Forum as simply rather unstimulating journalism and of course the issue with the bias regarding "certain" advertisers and questioning why there isn't a further investigation to protect the consumer.

You mentioned in a previous thread that the purchase of the magazine from F&W was a bad thing.

A few questions:

1) Why was it a bad thing?
2) What happened between to the magazine and to why the hobby feels so strongly about the way it does to a once loved periodical?
3) What is the role of the publisher?
4) Can a sports memorabilia magazine exist and profit today in such a large scale as it once did in the 1990's?

Thank you Bob in advance.

DJ