View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default REA is beautiful, but browsing bids leaves me depressed

Posted By: Dave

I believe the high bids are indicative of the current state of vintage sports material. when you turn on CNBC and the host is saying that sports collectibles are as safe as buying gold it's ridiculous. I know the guy was just kidding, but this type of "hype" is all over the place. Everything pre-1920 is all of the sudden "rare" and "scarce". My brother and I are bidding on about 10 lots in the REA , but don't expect to win a single lot after looking at the current bids. We were willing to bid generously on a few lots, but they have already exceeded what I think they are realistically worth. Notice I use the word realistic.
I wish there was a way to discover the entities that win some of the lots after the both auctions end. I know of one financial planning firm that is bidding on lots as a company for investment purposes. they have almost unlimited funds to spend thanks to 2 "angel" donors who loan them money and let them pay it back whenever they can. I can't compete with bidders like that, which is why I don't participate in these large auctions. I also feel that the final prices realized for many items won't stand the test of time....therefore affecting the card collecting hobby in a negative way.