View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default Best deal you ever passed on

Posted By: shane leonard

I can't remember what year this took place, but it was the National in Atlanta. (97?) After standing in line for two hours, they final let all of us in. I had brought $1500 with me for the trip, knowing that I needed $400 of it for hotel, food and gas back to Dallas. So playing with $1100 hard cash, I found myself checking out this guys table. In his case he had an unopened box of 1959 Fleer Three stooges. I was pretty familiar with the set, but had no idea of what the cost was for an unopened pack. I asked the gentlemen, "How much for a pack?" He told me that it was not his, but the guy does not want to sell it by the pack and break the box. He told me that his friend wanted $300 for the box. That sounded fair, but wasn't sure if I wanted to drop that much coin down for a non-sports product. I went back the next day to buy the box for $300 and the dealer looked at me like I was stupid. He said this box is for sale, but for $7200 not $300. Not that I wanted to screw the guy, but I should have bought the box the first day.