View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default Long time Lurker coming out

Posted By: Dave

Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker ( almost 2 years) and a first time poster. I first found this forum on a google search. I was trying to learn more about the T206 series. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

I used to collect baseball cards when I was young. Then I sold them all and bought my first car. It was a Mustang, no- not a good one an eight year old piece of junk '84.

In 2003 I was talking to my mother in law about baseball and the Red Sox. She casually mentioned that she had some baseball cards upstairs in a shoe box. She explained that they were her fathers' and brothers' cards. All wrapped up in rubber bands I discovered names I only read about. Cobb, Mathewson, and to my novice eyes even a Wagner!

All excited we did a tally and counted about 180 T206's and about 30 T205's with a bunch of 48 through 50 Bowmans. Also hundreds of tobacco and bird cards.

The next day I went to the card shop to try to get an idea what I had. I brought the two Wagner cards and the Cobb Red Portrait.

Well, after much discussion and a brief learning experience, I learned that one of the Wagners was an E95 Caramel Card and that the other was some guy named Heinie. The shop owner offered me $1200 for the Cobb but I wasn't ready to part with anything before I did some research.

With a search I came here. And this is where I visit multiple times a day...sorry Leon for any misleading data for tracking purposes.

For those who love knowing about T206's and the backs. Well Im working on a list to share what I have. Most are Piedmonts with a few Polar Bears and Sweet Caporals mixed in. Though this Forum I have learned about grading, the numorous amount of backs, misprints and the like. I have become addicted to this set, let alone subsets. My goodness!

I would like to thank all of you for all your information and your willingness to share it in a public forum like this. I am slowly in the process of selling these cards...like Bilbo Baggins I cannot seem to let go of the T206's. To show how addicted I am, I am thinking of getting an artist to do work on comission. Two portraits. One of me and the other of my wife in a Classic T206 pose. Doctored in with our last name and city instead of the real deal.

So If you actually read all this thank you. I probably won't post again and just keep lurkin'.

Dave

If you were to pick a pose for a portrait which T206 card would you choose?

At the moment I am thinking of Leifield batting for me and maybe a Mathewson dark cap for the Mrs.