View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default O/T, Slightly, Should Hodges Go In HoF Ahead of Santo

Posted By: dennis

i think both should be in the hall of fame. and not for the reasons of all the guys we name here and why are they in so why not santo or hodges. but consider these facts, hodges was the all-star 1st baseman of the national league from 1949-57. also, he held the nl record for hitting over 20+ homers for 11 consecutive years. and, at one time he was the 2nd leading hr hitter in nl history behind mel ott. lastly the dodgers of his era were perhaps the greatest team in the history of the nl. now for ron santo,from 1961-1973 he performed at the skill level of any 3rd baseman in the hall of fame.he was the nl all star 3rd baseman every year from 1963 thru 1973 except for 1 year. he also happened to have diabetes which ,i believe led to his rapid decline in production which hastened his early retirement.w/o the disease he probably hangs around 3 or 4 more years and pads his stats.imo, growing up (a sox fan) in chicago during the 1960's, i believed santo to be a much better player than billy williams or the 1960's version of ernie banks, without a doubt.