View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Default O/T, Slightly, Should Hodges Go In HoF Ahead of Santo

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I think Hodges probably lost a year or maybe a year and a half to World War 2, so he might have nailed 400 homers without military service. I think he compares favorably to Ralph Kiner but also to Dale Murphy so is obviously (if not already apparent) a borderline candidate. Hodges was close to Kiner for a number of years' in the 70's HOF voting and well ahead of some other guys who got in. He was good to great in the field from what I have heard and won the Series with the Mets; two almost plusses. It's seems like he's one or two seasons away in many ways: 1 more World Series, one more 30 HR season, 1 more season over 100 RBI and I think he's in years ago. So again, the lost time to the war should be factored in. I think the lifetime BA works against him too. And I think there is a better argument for Hodges than Santo (whom I also feel should be in).

Some other guys I believe should be in: Blyleven, Dahlen, Hernandez (Keith that is-on the Mazeroski factor that outstanding fielding should be rewarded, which would also enshrine a few other guys I cannot recall right now-outstanding fielding should be rewarded over the long haul IMHO).

Here's a great site with HOF voting to start more arguments:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/history/hof_voting/default.htm