View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default The Card: Collectors, Con Men, ERRORS, etc.

Posted By: Mark

I started reading this book today, and have worked my way through the first three chapters. I don't want to pass judgment on it just yet, but I have already found several errors that will really irritate vintage card collectors. At one point, they mention that three players in the T206 set were in the first class of the Hall of Fame - Wagner, Cobb and Johnson. Matty was left out. However, later on, they made it up to Matty by including him in the T204 set! Not only that, there are also, apparently, in existence T204 cards of Cobb, Young and Lajoie. What a scoop! You Ramly collectors have four more cards to find than you thought.

There is more, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I still think it might be interesting, once I get past all the preliminary stuff. But these errors lend nothing to the authors' credibility.

My favorite part, so far, is when they refer to Alan Rosen as the hobby's first celebrity. Whatever.

Oh, as a T3 collector, I have to throw this in. On page 40, it is stated that the cards were redeemed for coupons. I'm pretty sure it was the other way around.