View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default T206 reprint set values?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Nick, I don't think the responses above have done justice to your enquiry...

First, no reprint set is good as an investment. No baseball card is, either. Invest in mutual funds... or a home. Buying 6 or 8 acres of land and planting hardwood trees, then waiting 25 to 30 years to cut them, that is a fine investment. A studied purchase of real estate is an investment. Paying for a kid's college education is an excellent investment. A hobby shouldn't be your investment.

Second, in 1983 Topps issued a reprint of their 1952 cards. That reprint set now sells for close to $200. An increase in value, maybe. Still not an investment. But an affordable way to see what the cards were like, read the backs, send off for autographs...

Finally, getting a reprint set of T206s is fine for that very purpose. They are neat to look at. The idea that their value might not grow in leaps and bounds shouldn't deter you from acquiring a reprint set. I bought reprints of the Cracker Jack and T205 cards... not for appreciation in value, but so I could read what was on the backs of all of the cards. Money well spent for me. But not spent as an investment. But it has true value to me.

Frank