View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default T222 Fatima of Jack Lelivelt

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Ossie Vitt has a "5" on him... so he's not considered one of the very difficult ones.

My thinking is that they are all difficult. I have only 3. I'm guessing $400 to $550 in nice shape, but I live stuck in the past and undervalue all old cards.

I once talked with a fellow who collected these cards as a kid. He's passed away, now. But he recalled bugging grownups for the cards as they got their cigarettes. He had about 300 of the baseball players, he told me. But he said he never managed to complete a set. He was shooting for the 100 cards mentioned on the back. I didn't have the heart to tell him there were only 52 issued. I listened to his recollections... and I asked him what happened to them. He said he came back from college one summer and his mom had thrown them away. That was in the late 20s. After he told me that, I just couldn't tell him there were only 52 baseball players, or what the cards would sell for today...

Mom's have been at it for generations. That's part of what gives the cards value, for those who're concerned about such.